R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Claimed Lipo Discharge Rates
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Nexus Racing
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamTekin

Now add cycle life to this discussion. Is that important?

Tekin Prez
It's kind of strange how we have gone from one extreme to another...from 5-cycle race packs to 500-cycle race packs.

I myself (as well as probably everyone else on here) would not think twice about foregoing a 500-cycle lipo pack in favor of a 100-cycle lipo that gets me half a tenth more per lap, even for club racing. I also know that I'll probably replace the pack with the next latest greatest pack around cycle 53 anyway .

Cycle life is important to me...to a certain extent. The real reason we started running lipos over here is not because they lasted forever, but because we knew what we would get out of them when we put them on the track - something we could not get out of our NiMH batteries at the time. Ease of use, longevity, price, and eventually safety became big bonuses.

Of course, we will eventually arrive in a lipo-battery-of-the-month situation, but my big question is: Will the "leftovers" at least have good cycle life and usability, or will we eventually find a way to abuse these things within the ROAR rules in a way that turns them into NiMH batteries in plastic cases (practice packs after 5 runs, trash after 20)?