R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 17.5 Questions...13mm rotor? Better/worse?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:29 PM
schurcr
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Here's what I've found with the 13mm rotor.

In mod, the 13mm rotor is a great tuning aid and you can use it to move the powerband around a little. It's great for the light series motors. We gear mod closer to the peak efficiency of the motor so the motors don'e heat up as much with the lower winds (at least that's the case for me).

With the 17.5 and 13.5, I think the motor is less efficient with the 13mm rotor. It tends to heat the motor up more at the end of the run and the car falls off. Most of us club racers don't care but I don't think the 13mm rotor is ROAR legal for 17.5 or 13.5.
Hey I've got a dead wound 19 turn arm that's really a 17 turn that will make your 19 turn motor faster than a brushless 10.5. Doh ...... wait ..... that's illegal twice.

Why do people feel they need to cheat to be faster. Maybe you should put a 13.5 stator in your 17.5, that'll make it faster. Better yet, take your 13.5 and out a 17.5 lable on it. Clubs don't care when there racers stop comming because the club doesn't have the time, money our resources to tech BL motors at a club race and people are cheating. That will just go to support what the brushed guys have been saying all along, it's to easy to cheat with brushless.

Leave it to a few sour grapes to ruin it for all. You wonder why on-road is on such a decline? Go figure.