R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lipo balancing
Thread: lipo balancing
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
OG RC 10T
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Balancing is necessary for lipo batteries. There are cells in lipo packs just like any other battery pack, they are just a different type of cell.

Some cells discharge slightly slower than others when in use and some cells charge faster than others when on the charger. Over time the cells get charged and discharged unevenly and the battery charger will pick up the signal that one of the cells is fully charged, even though the others may not be.

Over several cycles this can make your battery acutally operate at say 80%. Making your overall runtime much less.

Just like any other battery they do need to be balanced. Where the difference is, (as an example) with lipo batteries you can balance them once a month instead of each or every other time like you would a stick pack.

I hope that is clear enough, I ramble some times.

As for the charger. Your buying the best type of battery on the market, why would you try to buy the cheapest type of charger.

Get your self a good charger. They will last a very long time and it is money that is well invested. Most guys buy the Duratrax ICE charger. It is versitale, can charge any type of RC battery, easy to use, and if you ever decide to get out of the hobby they are desireable and you can easily re-sell it for close to what you paid for it. (versus buying something cheap that no one wants)

Just my .02