R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 705
Thread: Serpent 705
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Jump 7 Miles
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by nizee
It is not call "Oxidization". Physic and Electronics term call it "Crystalization".

I think we are talking about two different things. Crystallization due to over charging degrades the performance of the battery but rarely destroys the electrode plates inside the battery. I am talking about the deterioration of the separator due to oxidation. This is the most common failure mode found on Ni-Cd batteries.

CAF growth occurs along the glass fiber/resin on regular FR-4 material used in PCB fabrication. The conditions and materials involved are totally different from that of the Ni-Cd batteries; I think it is not correct to relate those two phenomena to each other.

effect amount the PCB engineer are facing problem today for designing high density multilayer fine pitch BGA?
Seems redundant to me, high density or fine pitch should be enough, but it sure does sounds better and impressive. With proper circuit layout, substrate material selection and board fabrication, CAF growth can be eliminated. I can’t believe some PCB engineers are still having problem with that. Hope this helps.

1)The applied voltage drawn from it or the charge is low.
Don’t understand this. You mean to charge the battery below its normal 1.2V ?

2) The applied current drawn from it or the charge is low.
Unless he is using a ultra low power consummation receiver/servo system, otherwise this scenario will not happen.

3) He or She do not use it regularly.
Possibe, if 1) and 2) above was realized. It would take He or She forever to charge or discharge, he or she will not be able to use it regularly.

4) Keep the charge rate at normal discharge stage not Full charge.
Don’t understand this.

5) Low humidity places
Maybe.

I am really having doubt about any Ni-Cd battery, under normal use, in a R/C nitro car environment (heat, vibration, shocks) can last 16 years. But if you think if is possible and is indeed common, then so be it.

By the way, throwing scientific/engineering terms, acronyms like CAF, BGA……ETC. ETC.) on the forum sure sounds impressive but it is not necessary. This is only a R/C car forum on the internet, it would not help you get anywhere. You should throw those out on your resume or when you are having a job interview. Hope this helps.

Just my thoughts

WT