R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI 5b SS. Are they worth it?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Timmahh
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if your not a HARD HARD core basher, you can get thru a month wiht gas and oil. yes there are a couple out of the box things to pay attention to

with the RTR its plastic gears in steering servo, diff seperation/nearly empty of fluid, Shock Shafts, weak rubber on the rear tires, Rubbing of the rear lower shock caps from wheel flex. those are the main issue. and the main fixes are

metal gears for the stock steering servo, or the Hitec 5745 or a Multiplex Rhino.
diff case. tear it out, add the TR Diff Case Saver cases (comes with new modified stock diff cases modded for the Diff Case Saver.
Shock shafts, Buy and Install the PhatDad RC replacement shock shafts. no more shock worries.
weak tires can be handled with Hostile Hobbys MX tires.
Rubbing issue is fixed up with extenders or some other options.

SS has Shock shaft issues as well, again PhatDad SS shock shaft replacements.
seems they have a good portion of the wheel rub solved (this covers the newer RTRs as well) but the extenders are still nice to use
diff is solved with a cast aluminum diff case from HPI. seems to be holding its own. Dont seem to see TOO many other issues with the SS except the rear tires.

both are great units. each has its rewards, which FAR outweigh some of the things that need attention.

I love it. im thinking really hard on Selling my Bergonzoni Competition thats all decked out and getting an SS to go with my RTR.

Clutch shoes can wear fast or not. i have went thru about 15 gallons on my baja, and am on clutch shoe set number 5. i have an Elcon adjustable on its way, so early clutch death will be no more a worry. fyi, my one neighbor has about 6 gallons on his, and his original set of shoes look good still.