R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Engine Mod'r List
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Maximo
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
Trust me, he can. He's done it to one of the piston / sleeve sets I got from Edward a few years back, and it was a work of art.

Btw, Edward, I still got that aluminum P/S set!

Edward, what#s your opinion on measuring the crank window with a caliper?

I tired that in the past and it never really worked, so i went back to the tedious way, using the degree wheel.....
All i am saying is a quick check with the caliper will tell you if the modder has altered crank timing or not , and if so by how much... many modders do claim to alter engine timing, but I have seen very few with actual timing alterations..... If the modded crank measures the same as the stock crank then the timing is stock.... if the modded crank is .5 mm less then the stock crank ( 14 mm crank) then timing has been cut approx 5 degrees....... Most definitely this is not a accurate way to measure timing, but a honestly check to see if the modder has in fact altered crank timing or not .and if they altered timing by how much....... as i say there is no arguing the fact that if the modded motor measures the same as stock then its timing is in fact stock.......... Just like the sleeve... if the chrome is still lining the port then the timing is stock... its that simple....