R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
protc3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Been so long I can't remember. They were basically what we use today for the side springs on link cars.
Those are progressive springs used on the sides of link car but they are more linear than the AE front springs. The AE springs in theory should be linear due to the constant coil pitch but due to the outer diameter,pitch and length, they are actually more progressive than link car side springs. We run progressive springs on the 1/10th pan cars but they are finer pitch and larger diameter than the AE springs so they are actually more linear.

The reason you want linear up front is because of the lack of weight,super short arm length and for the difference in roll center from the rear of the car. It is extremely hard to get the front of the car to roll even with the rear. When the front binds up,the rear continues its roll and your ride height actually becomes lower in the rear than up front in the middle of the corner. This creates an on power push. To compensate, We stiffen the rear and increase side dampening. The problem with this is with increased side dampening, we slow the reaction of the car down more than it needs. Increased side spring tension will start to effect corner speed if it gets to be too much. The key is to plant the car and let it rotate with minimal force on the tires. This is what i am looking for and in the testing performed this weekend, it showed me that this theory is correct. I really feel that everything can be improved. Alot of things in 1/12th cars have been overlooked for so long and therefor technology has been very slow in this class. I will always be looking to improve.