R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
ALJR
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
I just got a pair of new Losi 8ight-T diffs from one of those eBay joints that disassembles RTRs and sells off the parts. I got the 8ight-T diffs to replace the diffs in my 8ight buggy so I have more gearing range for an electric conversion. (Yes, this is electric, but the issue should still be a Nitro issue.)

I found that there is some gear binding (like the mesh was too tight, but only on one side of the ring gear) in these brand new diffs (more the front than the rear). I thought maybe they weren't shimmed properly, but when I opened the diff case, I found no shims at all.

Is some binding/gear tightness to be expected in new diffs? Are they made to be tight initially to account for wear?

If you are wondering why I bough whole diffs, the answer is the complete diffs cost less from this eBay seller than just the 8ight-T ring and pinion gears would have for each of my buggy diffs.
My new Race Roller rear diff was like that. What I did was remove the plastic bearing holder (or what ever you call that plastic collar around the diff out drive bearing) and snaded the edge some. This allowed the diff to move over slightly and provided perfect gear mesh... If you look close at that plastic bearing holder, there is a small lip on it. I just sanded that lip off...

Maybe the aluminum Losi option part would also work...