R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Choosing a Big Bore Shock
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM
mugenb46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Hello,

I am very curious about all the different shocks out there now, and was wondering if you could put on the shock of your choice on a vehicle, and it mounts up and travels fine, which shock set out there right now is the one you would choose and why?

Also, as far as Big Bore larger shock setups go, at what point do we say its finally big enough? I mean, are we headed for LST style shocks??
I agree, going to big seems to be over kill, 16mm seems to be the standard right now, i run BB on my caster buggy and there is a diiffrence compared to stock, they help put the car IN the track it seems. Travel is increased front and rear, they have less pack, but still have the "Pack" at the right spot because of the volume. For me they are the most stable on rough tracks, the shocks are doing all the work compared to standard size packing to hard and kicking up the chassis, and the rebound travel speed is increased which is keeping the tires on the ground and a more controlled feel on rought track situations, I have talked to a few guys that build shocks for nascar teams and they have said these RC car shocks suck for the simple fact that we cant controll one speed motion compared to the other, fast stroke and slow rebound and vise versa, big cars dive hard in the corners but the rebound is controlled by valves and fluid in the shock, and a slower rebound keeps the nose in the track providing more down force, we have no way to controll up and down speeds other than using thicker or lighter shock oils, but the effect is the same both ways. But still the BB seem to have the advantage over some standard size shocks and i like em, i run Jammin BB, Caster Racing is also in the process of making there own BB 16mm they sould be out soon.