Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Chassis is molded. I did not bend flat plate. I am trying something new with this chassis. I have polished aluminum male and female molds that I have machined. I lay up the chassis layer by layer opposing each layer at 45 degrees. When I get the desired layers done, I bolt the top to the bottom which has stops to prevent over tightening. I wipe off the excess resin and toss the entire thing in the oven for 3 hours. When it's done, it's fully cured and ready to be cut out. The shiny finish is how it comes out of the mold. It's not as shiny in person as the photos appears. You get some the carbon cloth right on the surface. Any carbon that is shiny, likely has additional surface resin applied to it which is purely cosmetic. I could spray a clear laquer to the chassis. That would look amazing! The benefits to doing a molded chassis is taking advantage of the strength of a tub. Anytime you bend a corner into a thin piece of material, you can add strength to it. Take a piece of paper, just pick it up from one end. It bends or lays over. Now take the same piece, bend the two edges up 90 degrees creating a U shape channel. Now you pick it up from the end and it does not lay over. The paper does not weigh anymore, it just now has a shape that gave it strength. Same goes with this chassis. I have an .080" chassis that weighs 1.7 ounces. I just weighed my C12 that is flat plate at 2.2 ounces made from .125" thick material. The flex of the chassis is near identical. Taking advantage of the rolled edges allows me to reduce the footprint of the chassis. It allows the car to roll more without contacting the carpet as quick, which prevents double steering and scrubbing the nose on corner entry equalling faster corner speed.

Thanks James!

Brian