R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05MS
Thread: Tamiya TA05MS
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 AM
lotus
Tech Rookie

Its difficult to say, we held an event last Sept where we cleaned the track (brushed and vacumecleaned) at that event I ran the TA05R, because the grip level was better than we usually have I found the car much easier to drive and I was able to concentrate on "racing" instead of the usual do not crash! I know a lot of my problems may be my driving ability, but I'm not yet ready to accept I'm crap. Our track is very inconsistant, one night it can be damp, the next dirty the grip levels are always different, also the surface is smooth in some areas and course in others, it will proberly improve as the Summer comes but last year I always had major understeer with my standard TA05 but I now know where I was going wrong with my setup, and I was also very much a novice. When we race on timber we have a much more consistant track, it is easier to feel changes when setup changes are made, but since I have got the MS I've ran it with the one way and the car has been very difficult, it takes 100% of my concentration just to stop spinning, entry into corners are knife edge but if I get the entry ok once I get on the power the car will turn well under power and is fairly predictable. What I cant handle is a nervous car I just need a car that is neutral, it dosen't need to be fast that can come later.
Its easy when sitting in a car to tell what its doing as you can feel it through the seat of your pants, its not so easy when you'r standing on a bench watching a car and when all your brain power is being used to stay on the track leaving nothing for analising what the car is doing.
Its also possible my droop settings are not correct, I've been setting my ride height and droop using a stack of washers, I make a stack of washers 5mm high and adjust the ride height untill the car clears them, I then make a stack 8mm high (3mm droop) sit the car on top of them and adjust the droop screws untill the wheel just makes contact with the ground. A bit crude! but I have a droop guage, block and ride height guage on the way so I can hopefully make more accurate measurements.