R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Read his post again. At the bottom he says he overcharges them (plus its carry over from another thread).
He says "overcharge", but in the context of what I see in the post the reference is to "over 1 C" which is not specifically addressed. And I don't know enough about the batteries to say whether or not that should be addressed.

Now in a later post (since I posted my response) I see he does tell how to get up into the 8.5's and maybe that was the "missing" information from the other post. Above 8.5 is definitely not legal, that "overcharge" rule is very specific.

There seem to be two things being discussed here, and I'm a bit leery of both. Danny is using, say 3X C for charging and not (apparently...correct me if I've missed something) ending up with voltages outside what is acceptable. What he IS getting is getting significantly lower IR and some VERY minimal average discharge voltage and run time changes. Tony is, apparently, playing games with sensor leads, etc, (or has at least experimented with same) to get higher voltages. In reading the rules it seems clear that Tony's increased voltage is illegal therefore the method is of no real use. Danny's "processing" seems to be within the reality of how the rules were written, whether it meets "intent of the rule" or not.

It also seems that LiPo show a lot less voltage drop "off the charger" than batteries I'm used to.