R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 01:40 PM
4wd Racer
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You are allowed to charge at rates above 1C with no issues without breaking any ROAR rules, since the chargers with correct cc/cv software would arrive at the cut off in low 8.xx vlt regardless either way regardless of what C rate the Lipo pack is set at. (in addition ROAR rules does say you can charge beyond that 1C rate if Manufacturer says it's okay, with no loss in cycle life, etc. That's part of the fine print of using 1C rate or more)

That being said, Danny's testing at 2C-3C rates on his Lipo's pack is legal in a way. He is just sharing his finding with others through means that are currently legal. Although I'm not so sure about taking the pack past 140-150 deg though and the legality of doing so, lol. However ROAR does suggest 140 deg max temp, but I'm not entirely clear to the wording of that part. I don't really care to comment on that part though.

I think pretty much right now what's he's doing is helping everyone learn about what their Lipo are capable of (or those offered from SMC’s in a hardcase), I think. I do think that being said it's a good idea to do all the testing in an oven though, seems to be a safe place to me, lol. Heck, I would do the same!

It's taking Lipo's past 8.44 vlt that isn't currently permitted or legal by ROAR at the moment for obvious reasons...

Last edited by 4wd Racer; 02-19-2008 at 02:14 PM.