R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - OS 12TR vs. Big $$$ Engine
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 AM
almtx3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I came in 2nd place in the B main with my OS .12TR in a mostly stock HPI R40. If the car did handle better I would expect to place better. I got dusted on the straights, but on the infield I did perfect. No way it keeps up with a Ninja on the straightaway or so, but maybe on the infield with good driving skill it will match. However, it's still a tick slower in terms of HP and RPM compared to the Mugen MT12. Now that is a real low end motor of the past. During it's time one of the best and most powerful .12 to get. Today it's still a great beater motor if you can find one. BTW this was the layout for my track. It's roughly 205' x 108'wide

Depending on the track and layout if it's more technical you can get away with a weaker motor. Though on a larger track you might want to consider. Don't forget a weaker motor if you find yourself peaking it out run time will decrease being you are running almost WOT. Therefore it won't last as long on a tank of fuel like a faster engine.
Thanks HarKonnenD! Yeah I figured it wouldn't keep up with the ninja. We did a few quick passes in a straight line and when the Mugen picks up RPM it just takes off like a bullet. The TR has plenty of low end torque but dies out quick. The track I go to has a similar layout to the one you run at. What engine would you recommend for a track similar to that? Im considering the picco JL red dot. Any comments on this particular engine?