R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2003 ROAR Paved On-Road Electric Nationals
Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Jimmy Fukuyama
Tech Regular

Default Re: OK lets air it out a bit

Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
Sponsored drivers Dunnigan & Pavidas ... how much $$$ do you think they won at this event ? How does a sponsored driver have an advantage over daddy's little spoiled kid who has everything you could ever want ?

At the club races we have...
Novice
Intermediate
Sportsman
Pro-Stock & Mod
works great for a club race, should we really have a "Novice National Champ" ? who's up for trying to decide how to quantifiy a Novice ?

My point is this... The "ROAR NATIONALS" should be the best of the best our country has all coming together to settle who's the top dawg for that year. If Baker or Jun want to run Stock they can, but they don't. Water seeks its own level.

Each class offers its own challenge, Mod is stacked with the best drivers & equipment in the country, Stock has great drivers who got there game down to a science. Lets not kid ourselves here, to compete in either class your going to need the best batteries available, in stock I saw people going through at least 5 motors trying to find "The One", in Mod the motor could last all week. Tires are the same for both.

Is one class more expensive than the other ? really, am I missing something here ?

I agree 27T is too slow, thats why they run 23T in J-land. If the top stock class drivers thought they could do well in Mod they would try it. I don't think my equipment holds me back from runnin with the top in the Mod class.

Personally this was my last 27T race, just wanted to finish out the season with what I've been running at the club races, that 19T stuff at the REEDY race was waaaay more fun
Hi RBF,

I don't think we've met but Daniel keeps telling me great things about you. I'm his brother by the way. Sorry the cells didn't work out as planned and mainly because we rushed it and didn't cycled enough to retain its consistency for you. We'll have to work on that in the next few weeks since an even bigger shipment is due to arrive. Next time you run, you'll use my personal stash of unrated # I don't think ROAR will mind, seems they don't give a rats a$$ about it anyway. lol:

I don't think Dunnigan or Pavidis made a lot winning the race since I believe Pavidis are under salary already. From what I know, Atsushi Hara is one of the highest paying drivers in Japan and Asia by HPI and normally gets 15k per event and doubles during the worlds if he wins. Masami of course is the highest paying driver right now and his apprearance at an event is equal to a decent driver's annual $$$. I could be wrong in this department but just my guess. I believe Brian Kinwald is one of the highest paid U.S. Driver along with Barry. So factoring these top guys, maybe we could speculate and try to figure out the amount. I've been running undergrounds or what they're called for the last few years and only in Asia and the prize is much bigger while the stake is high as well. (a good way to make a living) I'll have to meet you one day and explain it in more details or ask Daniel and I'm sure he'll tell you more about it.

I have to agree that the stock 27t is too limited and slow. While in Japan, the 23t is perfect for stock and with its limits and the way it is hand out, there aren't much we can do to it yet Japanes drivers rely on gearing, batteries and electronics to boost the speed. Most Japanese drivers install additional capacitors, filters, wires, mosfet just to make it work with the standard handouts. Its becoming an electronic engineering style of races. I've seen actual PCB in the size of 2"x1" with over 60 micro electronic componets(similar to cellular phone technology components) glued to the underside of the top brace to work with the ESC/CAPs/Batteries. Again, this is from what I've observed. I do wish that in the U.S., 19t would soon become the stock since this is in-between the 23t and the mod (10t limits). It'll just be more fun for the experienced drivers at top level competition who doesn't wish to run the more torquey mod motors. I think it's perfect and is not too demanding on the batteries.

Then I would be happy to see a new class namely for American Novice. Why? because we need to further promote this hobby to the newcomers. In order to qualify, new racers have to have no more than 2 years experience in this hobby, the cars used has to be boxed stock with absolutely no hop-ups, no factory team kits ( just regular retail kits). Standard 27T motor, street cells stick packs with clear shrink wraps to show labels, Tamiya or deans plugs. This will allow a new hobbyist to go down to their local hobby store and grab a kit off the shelf and go race. Retail price cap for these kits can't be over $250 MSRP. This way, new racers aren't being turned away from this hobby because they simply can't compete with the guys who's got a $1,500 car and $1000 worth of batteries. After all, ROAR is about promoting this hobby or am I missing something here? LOL...FWIW IMHO.

Jimmy