R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic E4 Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM
RCRIOT
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I was being nice. All things being equal the Type-R and E4 will never be as good as a mass centralized, cells down the side car...and even they could be better.

Think of it this way...grab a broomstick in the middle and try to spin it back and forth. Then cut it into 4 equal lengths, bundle them up, grab them in the middle and spin them. You will be able to spin the bundle faster even though it weighs the same since the mass of the object is more centered.

This manifests itself in the Type-R and E4 has resistance to initiate turns and stop turning.

Can a Type-R or E4 win races, sure...any car and win a race sooner or later. Are drivers of these cars startiung out with a disadvantage, yes...its simple physics.
Your idea about the broom stick is right on. This is best seen with weights. Imagine a bar with weights out on the end very difficult to turn move the weights in and this becomes much easier. So I agree with that idea but the idea that the E4 and JRXS are bad I will not agree with.

These two cars are the best in this idea as the weight is very centralized. I will agree with the fact that the weight is spread out front to back compared to other cars which means it will transfer weight fore and aft slower. In my mind this is better. BUT left and right these cars have the closest center mass compared to anything on the market. Which means they can transfer left and right incredibly fast. I can agree with this statement as the car transfer from one way to another lightning fast.

I would also like to comment on the F1 comment. Those cars as well as indy cars have the most advance suspension setup in the world. They are able to reduce all sprung weight by using push rods and rocker arms instead of direct mounted shocks. By doing this they also gain the ability to adjust ride height seperate from spring preload and spring stiffness. RC Cars are still using the very basic type of shock set-up its not a bad thing because we are dealing with minimal weight but it would be nice to have ride height and springs seperate from each other.

With all of that I will get off the soap box and just say that the E4 is a great car to drive. And very well thought out.