R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Danny/SMC
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Please don't attempt any of the tests I'm performing or use a charge rate higher than 1C. Never warmup your Lipo packs. Doing any of this can result in fire and can be dangerous

In theory it should be harder on the pack but I know that Tony Moffre only charges at 12 amps and his packs seem to be holding up well. I have 2 packs that I used in offroad and only charged them at 5 amps and they have been sitting with charge in them for 3 months and seem to have lost 20 seconds of runtime. Tonys packs have lost about the same amount of runtime with many more cycles and using a 12 amp charge rate.

I'm trying to test the difference between heating up the pack and cycling it or doing the back to back cycling to see what works best but with any test it takes a bit of time to come to the conclusion.

Here are some results about cycling packs after they have been stored and run on the track.

1st cycle 5amp chg.: 13.2 IR - 503 Sec. - 7.14 V.

2nd cycle 12amp: 11.2 - 506 - 7.21 This cycle was on the next day.

3rd cycle 12amp: 9.4 - 508 - 7.28 This cycle was started immediately after the 2nd cycle finished.

I'm not sure on what this will do to the life expectancy of the packs but as a racer the difference in performance should be noticeable and if you want your packs to run as fast as possible you will need to do something similar to this. I'm sure Tony can say how many cycles he has on some of our 22C/5000 packs and if they are still cycling good.

Last edited by Danny/SMC; 02-19-2008 at 11:18 AM.