R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - mugen mbx5 aftermarket shock springs
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
slow coach
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
hmm, yeah, i seen those progressive springs on carolinas rc.

theyre 25$ for all 4 over at carolinas, how much are they where you recommended?

i was thinking of getting them, now sure what stiffness though.

whats the exact purpose of soft shocks? tiny bumps?

whats the exact purpose of very stiff shocks? huge air?

edit: i also bought a 18T clutch... was that a waste of money or what? i was just curious as to how it would change the speeds of my buggy, does that mean it wont have a very high top speed, but the top speed it does have itll reach it instantly, in like 10M?

and a 10T clutch (if they made em) would have a rediculous top speed, but would take 100M or so to reach or or am i totally wrong?

match springs to oil/piston combos if your damping is heavy you need a stiff spring to return the shaft if the damping is soft you can run a softer spring to do the same job its a balancing act, the idea of a progressive spring is the initial travel will be soft so for small ruts it will soak them up easy as the shock compresses further the spring starts to get stiffer this will help landing off jumps etc hth.

you have the clutch bells/effect the wrong way round the 10t will rocket off the line the 18t will be like a slug off the line but if it ever gets there a good top speed, stick with either a 13 or 14

also should mention if you are using mugen 250 oil you should not have problems with the shocks not reacting they should be way to soft and bottoming out and returning like crazy, you must have some other problem bent shafts or something binding maybe an arm check the arms with shocks and roll bars off make sure they drop nice and easy under their own weight