R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
sportpak
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
We're on the same page, for sure. However, we need to make sure that we don't go too far too fast with this class and make it too complicated before it ever really gets off the ground. Personally, I'd rather run a 21.5 and a LiPo pack in my car. We do want to make sure that this class doesn't become a catch-all for every one-off power combo idea that is out there, while maintaining a fair and level playing field.

We took some heat initially for allowing the brushless motors to be in the same class as the brushed stock motors, but all of us felt that it was the best for the class as a whole in the long run. Yes, it does make the rules more complicated, and changes what can and can't be done by a racer to make a fast car. It also is very difficult to monitor the actual differences from track to track—it looks as though the brushless motors have a distinct advantage on a small track, where brushed motors tuned properly are the motor of choice on a larger track. Generally though, water will seek it's own level.

Should this class have been ALL 21.5 on LiPos to begin with? Maybe, but you can't unring a bell, and as it stood there were many racers already competing on a weekly basis with cars very different from that. We didn't want to alienate that group right off the bat.

I do plan on testing a 21.5 on LiPo in the near future, versus what we have all been running for the last few months. We get into weight issues, too, as strangely enough, my Orion 3600 7.4v LiPo pack is lighter than my IP4300 4-cell pack by a whopping 75 grams. It will take another detailed effort to make sure that everything stays fair for all options.

But yes, as long-winded as that was, the 21.5/LiPo option is a heavily discussed topic for this class.

doug
I understand moving slow. Most importantly, we need to keep our eye on the "greater good" of the class. That makes us put personal preference aside. I hope a 21.5/lipo is in our future. For now, I don't intend to push it. We just started our class. We're not cracking down too tight on the current rules. We want people to sort of try it, let them decide if they want to go whole hog. Too much BS makes people make their mind up before they've even tried it. One day out and we all had a blast. Once we all get on the same page I hope we can really take off with it.