R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - DIGITAL OR ANALOG
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
nigelnuggets
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I agree it has more than enough torque for an onroad car, I was just correcting Sam. Now, to correct you, the BLS weighs 60 grams. 5 grams makes a difference to me. 10 grams makes twice as much difference. Us racers (you included Nigel) spend quite a bit of money on hopups.. some of which are only to save weight. If/When I look for new electronics for an onroad car, the weight is a factor in my decision. You may not think it is worth mentioning, but obviously I think it is worth mentioning.

I don't disagree that a Brushless should last longer and draw less power. I haven't really worn out any of the motors in my brushed servos, but a brushless should be better for a longer period of time.... Assuming you keep your servos for a long time.

Now back to the weight issue. Somebody puts two Brushless servos into their car at 60 grams each. I currently use a 9452 and a 9550 in my sedan. My servos weigh 25 grams less than your servos. How much money will you spend on titanium screws, or titanium pillow balls or whatever to save 25 grams? It all adds up. Remember that at the next club race you run where they aren't weighing the cars.
To correct me? Scott, lets be honest here, you really think you can feel 5 grams on each servo on your car? Totaling 10 grams? Weight reduction through servos by 10 grams, i guarantee you're not going to feel that.

Weight reduction through titanium screws/pivot balls, drivetrain, now THAT you can feel the weight difference. At the 1/8th nationals my car was under by 80grams, and thats WITH a brass battery tray.

You think i factor in the 10grams to save weight from my servos?

And trust me, the majority of the population could care less about the weight of their servos. When i buy a servo, im looking into its specs as far as Torque and Speed.

And really i can't remember the last time i spent money on a hopup...