Thread: Serpent 705
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 11:02 AM
PUNISHER
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Thumbs up

Originally posted by InitialD
Punisher, I thought you replied to a post by Accord some time back in another thread about his engine problems that an external fuel filter is not needed... I guess now you know why we use one...

Well, MS claimed that the current fuel filter in the tank does not filter out the small particles like tire dust well enough that it can get into the carb and cause tuning problems... That was what he said for what it's worth. If you look inside the 705 tank, the filter looks kinda plastic like and it looks like they can chip off easily and break. The ones from the Impulse has a bronze filter pickup. Much better. Therefore MS mentioned that it is advised that an external filter is used with the 705 / 835 tank.

The 835 forum at mytsn had a thread that discusses the fuel tank pick up problem. My guess is that the external filter will act as a buffer of some sort to keep equalising the pressure.

There is actually a short article from a guy in UK about the modification he did to his 835 tank. He used a 4.5 mm drill and drilled out the filter in the 835 tank. Took out the bronze filter from the Impulse tank and fitted it in the 835 tank. You can refer it here somewhere in the middle of the page... He has some pictures to illustrate what modifications he did.

http://207.44.212.53/~admin23/Mendip1.htm
Thanks InitialD,
Well, I'm going to try a new fuel tank at first then a external filter.

BTW-You shouldn’t need an external filter if the tank one works properly!

Last edited by PUNISHER; 06-24-2003 at 12:22 PM.