R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Chuck67
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

We are fortunate enough to live within walking distance to the late So Cal Raceway (Indoor on and off road facility). We visited many times and observed what were the most popular buggy, truck , cars running and what were the availability of parts. I started my son out with a B4 RTR and went from there. Buggy ran good, kid ran it, broke it, I fixed it, he broke it, I fixed it...etc. He learned alot real quick. Next was a B4 for me so I could run with him. Next came a Losi XX4 which he loved (fragile buggy and expensive). Then came an on-road TC3 (FUN!!)

When talk of SoCal closing occured, we ventured out to Revelations Raceway (1/8 gas track). Kid was excited about the nitro. We sold all the electrics and made the switch over with a Losi 8ight RTR Buggy. Upgraded when parts broke (Not many break), they wear out before they break. He loves the 1/8 scale buggy. He races 2-3 times a month now, not the best but consistant. All of this started 18 months ago when he was 4 1/2 years old.

My 2 cents- Choose a car, buggy, truck etc that can be run and or raced and be some what competitive (there are decent RTR's that are easy to upgrade when parts break). Choose one that parts are easily and readily accessible!! But the main things are HAVE PATIENCE AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Chuck