R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "Tamiya Class" racing...Help me choose - TA05 vs TA05R
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
pgeldz
Tech Addict

Wow! Thanks for the awesome feedback guys!

I guess the main thing about the TA05R that is making me hesitant is 2 fold:

1) I don't like the fact that Tamiya issued a notice about the R version having a possible problem with metal gear servos causing glitching. I'm sure most cars are subject to that in certain circimstances, but the fact that they issued a "notice" about it leads me to believe there may be more to it. For my application, I think I will be fighting for grip, so the stock chassis with slightly more flex may help me out.

2) And this is the real reason why I'm so undecided...

I'm looking at the total package. Radio, batteries, charger, etc. I am trying to get into TC racing for a reasonable price, and still be competitive. I don't want to spend an unlimited amount of $$$ like I did in my nitro days.

I know the R is cheaper than if you were to buy the same option parts and add it to the stock version, BUT, for my application, (and this is what I keep getting hung up on) do I really NEED the stuff the R comes with?

If I were to build my own R would I even choose the same parts the R comes with? I dunno. I think I WILL be fighting for grip, as you guys mentioned, so the regular plastic parts in the stock version w/slightly more flex and durability may actually help a little. Replace a couple of key parts like the carbon steering plate and the others you mentioned, and I can take the savings and put it into other components, like the ESC, batteries, charger, radio.

I'm thinking I may be more competitive if I have the basic car with selected option parts and a very nice ESC, than if I had the R version with a basic ESC. Does that make sense?

As for the other gear, I have the new Integy 16x705 charger on its way (had great luck with the Integy 16x2.5 Pro back in the day so I figured I can't go wrong with the new one - it does much more and got it for a song at $82 new). Also on the way is a Futaba 3PM 2.5 GHz, and I've stil yet to buy batteries, an ESC, a discharger, and a servo. Actually, I have 2 servos already, a Hi Tech 645MG dual BB analog servo, and a Futaba 3050 digital servo. To get the most out of the servo, I need a 6 volt BEC in the ESC, and the servo needs to be digital.

Again, I do have the Futaba 3050 digital servo, but I'm thinking of not even using it and getting something a little faster...question is, do I need it? I'll be outdoors on a low grip surface so I'm not sure I really NEED an ultra fast responding servo. Plus, if you use a Futaba digital servo with the Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz, it's supposed to go into some kind of High Response Mode (HRS) that reacts much quicker than normal (so it says). So maybe the 3050 is good enough? Heck, the best servo I've ever owned was the HiTech 645, and I loved that servo. The Futaba 3050 digital is similar spec wise, but of course, it's digital (maybe a little more accurate), and combined with the HRS mode may just be fine as is.

As far as batteries go, I was thinking about getting some GP 3700mah's (3700mah is the limit for these races). I've heard they pretty good for 3700's, and can take some abuse. I've seen them in stick pack form, and loose cells too for cheap. Integy has them for like $33 a set. Not sure if I want to get into building batteries again or not.

As far as dischargers go, I've had great luck with the Integy Reactor 20. I used to use it in my heyday of carpet racing with an old TC3. The batteries were Integy Sayno 3000 and 3300 cells. Car was bone stock except for like 3 hop ups, and I was very competitive against guys with much better set ups. In addition to the Reactor 20, I also had an Octane 2 discharger board, and a Trinity real time 2 conditioning tray.

I'm just not sure if I want to go full tilt again with all of it. Some of these ESC's I've seen are $$$, so I'm leaning towards getting the GP3700 stick packs, changing the Tamiya connector to Deans Ultra's and getting the Reactor 20 discharger. With the money I saved by not getting the individual cell discharger and conditioning tray, I can buy a very good ESC.

We'll see. I'm so undecided it's not even funny. Can you tell?

LOL!

- Paulie