R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R1 Grand Prix Indoor International Championsip 2008
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Scotty Ernst
Tech Master

Hi Everyone,
Well I made it back after the long trip. The Event was a huge success! It was great to be able to be part of this event at the beginning stages. The intension of the race organizer is to grow the event to be one of the primary races in Asia and we are all in agreement that it will for sure become one of them.

The Hotel was very nice! very near the Inchon airport and the hotel has a shuttle bus that runs every 30 min. so it could not be more easy to get to.

This was the organizers first run at running such a big race and I must say they did a wonderful job for never doing anything like this before. Yes the track was a bit small, but it worked out fine. Kept me very busy calling traffic in the mains. hehehehe
but all in all, it was a great race. Tech inspection worked great and they had plenty of workers on the team to take care of everything, that is sometimes a big problem where there are not enough workers to make the event run smooth. But they had plenty.

Shin Adachi took TQ, but just ran into bad luck in both A1 and A2 was leading both but a lapped car crashed in front of him both times. Not much you can do, just bad luck. Hara did look very good, but not much better than Shin. They were very close. Next big Young gun coming out of Japan Naoto Matukura 14 yrs old was just as fast as the big boys, just lacking a bit of patience in my opinion. Once he learns it is ok and sometimes needed to follow somebody for a long time before you get a chance to make a pass, the world is in for a new champion. He has great talent and the rest will only come with time. I hear he has a great mentor....... Some guy who has won a few races in his time, named Masami

Lap times were down in the 7 second range with fast lap being set by Shin with a 7.01.

I am looking forward to watching this race grow over the years and with the plans we have for next year, it will only grow. Plans are for a larger track area for next years event.

That is about it, I want to thank Shawn the organizer as well as Mr Jang and Ryan Lee from Much More also to Mathew and Andy for taking such good care of me during my stay.

Looking forward to next years event. It is going to be a great time.

Thanks
Scotty