R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mach 427 vs Platinum .28?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 AM
PowerHouse
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Both engines are made by SH. They are both made for Dynamite. The Platinum .28 has a little longer stroke than the 427 which is the old Mach .26 with a slightly larger bore. Both engines run decent. The Platinum was designed to be Dynamites higher end motor. The ports in the Platinum are a little better to work with and the performance gains after being ported were substancial. The pros for the Mach line of engines are great price with decent performance. The cons are life expectancy is short, cranks are cheaply casted and tend to break and the rod bushings tend to wear out fast. I have done a couple of Platinum .28 and the performance is great after porting and the couple engines I did are 5-6 gallons old and still running strong. The Mach motors start getting tired around the 4 gallon mark. Thats when the rods start spitting out. If you have the extra cash the platinum is the better motor. If you want my opinion, for the same money you can get a Picco P3-28 that will beat both those motors hands down. I have run these for 3 years now and they are one of the best motors for under $200. I have a fully race ported P3-28 for $225 shipped in the lower 48 if interested.

Mark @ www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com