R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'd hardly call overcharging a battery until it catches on fire a "speed secret" or research. I understand we're all trying to be nice in here, but lets not act like these guys stumbled on to something magical. Some of you are just now paying attention, but many of us have been talking about the potential benefits and dangers of overcharging for a long time. It's great you've all caught up and decided to join us, but forgive me if I don't pin a medal on you for being some visionary.

It's natural to try and extract maximum performance from your gear. However, you have the draw the line when it endangers people. That's all. This isn't about trying to preserve the LiPo utopia. Most of us knew there would be problems when we discovered that the more volatile cell chemistries produced higher voltages, albeit for maybe only a few cycles. Oh, you guys didn't know that one either? Maybe you can go "discover" it and tell us how smart you are about batteries.

There's a strong underlying tone from people that seem to want to get back at the early LiPo adopters for their delirious support of the batteries all along. Hey, I'm with you, it annoys me too. There will be plenty of time for that in the future, no doubt. Lets just be careful not to do it with something that could get people hurt, or damage our hobby's reputation, okay?

With apologies to Josh, with whom I sometimes disagree, but respect, especially for trying to be a mediator in this nasty thread. I hid my soapbox behind my back instead of burning it, sorry! :-(