R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos
Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Danny/SMC
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OldNSlow2
Danny--don't you get it! You keep saying "only matters in high end racing" just for your information. All across the country every weekend people are "High End" racing, ever person that goes to the track wants to go as fast as they can. What the heck do you think people care so much about the labels you put on your packs, they all want the highest numbers they can. It is why people buy new cars, new motors, new radios, the best chargers, new tires, etc.

If it didn't matter people would all be happy running 1.15v stick packs, they aren't and that is how you stay in business.

So that means they want the best Lipo packs too, they had better or we don't need SMC.

This is why I'm trying to let everyone know that you will need to cycle and maintain your Lipos to stay on top. The number one reason why most believe Lipos are great is because they were told that you buy one pack and never need to discharge it and you only need to charge it back up after your run. In my testing I have noticed that Lipos have a memory effect and high amp cycling will keep the pack at it's best performance.

I have mentioned this in other threads and most said it's not true and they have been running there one year old Lipo with the same lap times and there is no need to do anything to it.

My goal is to let everyone know that Lipos aren't hassle free like they were suppose to be. This has nothing to do with me or SMC it's just the the fact and truth. Sorry to upset some of you but sharing the info I have and voiceing my concerns should not be crime.

I know for a fact that racers care about performance and that is why we get an extra 20 dollars on cells that are .005 more on average voltage. Lipos are the same as there are differences in voltage and IR from manufacturer to manufacturer. So nothing will change as racers will want to buy the fastest packs and do what it takes to maintain them to keep them as fast as possible. That is just the nature of racing.