R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Coming Battery Wars of our Age ?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Bigshades
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO A LIPO???

Theres plenty of punch, and runtime. yet some people want more voltage.

I was experimenting with an old Lipo cell. i wondered what would happen if i charged it and held it at 4.3vpc.

With the Motor running feature on my Superbrain 989, i set it to run at 4.3V at less than 1 amp. the chager will only put out 1 amp until it reaches the voltage, of which then it'll reduce current to keep the voltage. it works just like a normal lipo charger. I verified the voltage output, and it was precise, holding at 4.3v. the cell came from an old airplane pack that was in a crash. it was about 1100mah.

Anyway, at the end of the charge (which i watched very carefully), the cell puffed and was warm. i set it outside and waited. overnight, it shrank back to normal size. i measured the voltage and it was dead. 0 volts. Nada!

YOU CANNOT GET EXTRA VOLTAGE FROM A LIPO.

So, what puzzles me is, why match Lipo cells when you cannot get any extra voltage out of them? and its not like having IDENTICAL capacities is going to make a difference in racing. you're not going to pull that much amperage. AND you're not going to be using a lipo for its whole capacity in normal racing applications. in a stock buggy, i only use about 1000 mah in 5 minutes. with a 3800 Apogee, i could run all my qualifiers with one pack. and i'm definatly not going to feel the difference between matched pack and not.

The bottom line is, There WONT BE A VOLTAGE WAR anymore with lipo. Besides, the ROAR lipo rules state 8.4 volt lithiums only.