R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Ener-G 4600 Ni-MH Cell
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Danny/SMC
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here are the instructions and care info that come with our EnerG packs. I personally keep my packs stored with charge and then prior to using them again I discharge on a T-35 down to .90 per cell then tray the pack on an Integy 0-30 for 2 minutes then I start the charge. I only put storage charge back in my packs if I know I won't be running them in the next few days.

Before the first charge: The cells have been stored with a small amount of charge in them to help maintain the highest possible capacity. All new generation sub-c cells self discharge fairly fast. Not all cells self discharge at the same rate so it’s important to place them on a discharge tray that will bring all the cells down equally. If your tray has a cutoff, set it at .90 volts. Trays with no cutoffs that bring the cells down to zero volts can be used but it’s important to not keep the pack discharged at zero volts too long. As soon as the all the lights are off on the trays with no cutoff, you must then start charging your pack since leaving the cells at zero volts for an extended period of time will result in a drop of capacity. The pack will perform at its best after it has been run once, as the cells tend to be unbalanced after being stored with charge.

Charging: Use a high quality peak detection charger. Use a 6 amp linear charge with the peak detect (voltage threshold) set at .005(5mv) per cell. A 4 cell pack would be set at .02(20mv) and a 6 cell pack at .03(30mv). If you own a temperature gun we like the packs to peak around 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

After the race: For maximum performance it’s important to discharge the pack after a race. Discharge at 30-35 amps down to .90v per cell. This means 3.60v for a 4 cell pack and 5.40v for a 6 cell. Prior to charging the pack back up you should follow the traying method described above.

More than once per day: You can use your pack more than once per day. This will make the runtime drop slightly, but in most types of racing there is runtime to spare. Make sure to let the pack cool down for a period of 2 hours in between charges. Repeat the traying method described above prior to charging the pack back up.

Storage: After you have finished using your pack and you want to store it, we recommend you wait until the pack is cool then put 600 seconds of charge back into the pack. For long term storage (3 weeks or more) you should discharge/tray the pack then put 600 seconds of charge back once every 3 to 4 weeks. This will keep the cells from self discharging too low and keep the capacity as high as possible.