R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Picco P7 Evo 2
Thread: Picco P7 Evo 2
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
PowerHouse
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Thanks AB mods for your warm welcome to the site. I have messed around with the bigger engines quite abit. I was lucky enough to have the privilage to work for a company that designed and built engines for factory polaris. I was able to be apart of the design and casting process of cylinders, pistons, combustion chambers, carberation systems, exhaust systems, exhaust power valve developement etc. We built everything from 50cc Y-zinger race motors all the way up to 502 cubic inch blower motors for offshore power boats. I have spent more time in the dyno than I can shake a stick at and it is a great tool to have for engine R+D and as an engine guy yourself you also know that a dyno can point you in the right direction but it can't simulate what happens in the field. An engine on the dyno is under a different type of load than in a car, plane, boat, heli etc. First you get it working on the dyno and then you make it work in the field. I unfortunately don't have a dyno at home so I just skip to step 2. I have been on the down low the last 5 years just racing like any other guy constantly testing different engine designs, clutching etc. I used to get laughed at because I had a different engine in my cars just about every week and the funny part was, noone was laughing after they fired up and I took a few warm up laps. the best part was, over 60 engines ended up in local racers vehicles. That was my real test, putting these engines in the hands of the potential customer. You get the whole spektrum with that. You got the guys who can tune and who can't and the guys who can drive and the guys who can't etc. Two years ago I decided to get started with my little side business when the guy who couldn't tune a stock motor sais to me that my motors were very easy to tune and hold a tune and they guy who said he never made it past the D main qualifies for the B main 2 weeks later because he said the motor spooled up power so smooth that it kept the buggy hooked up better than any motor he has ever tried. So here I am trying to make it in a world of a bunch of engine modifiers, most of which have been around for years and are very reputable. I guess what I'm looking to do is get a piece of the pie. If I win a few customers from people who jump ship, great, if not, I'll be happy just building my own customer base from word of mouth and a little luck. If anyone out there has any questions or new ideas they would like to spitball, feel free to shout them out. An average engine design team consists of at least 5 people because everyone has something different they can bring to the table. I don't know anyone who has the time to try every single possible combination out there and we the engine guys rely on the very important feedback from you the racers to help us further advance our engine developement. I don't possibly think I can limit myself to 2 sentences on this topic lol. Have fun gentlemen!!

Mark @ www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com