R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Anyone try the Trinity Li-Pro packs?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
mtveten
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
IMO this is greatly exaggerated, if true, and therefore is hard to accept at all.

Quote: "With the same gearing I found the Orion to have significantly more punch than the trinity but far less top end"

This just doesn't make sense. If one pack is better and has more punch (lower voltage drop) then it will also maintain voltage under less severe loads (at top end) so something isn't right. Unless the Trinity had a fresh charge and the Orion didn't... I would suspect the battery was not the source of the difference you saw.

Also the Core 5000 packs are getting great reviews from others... who have reported just the opposite.

Several of my friends just got the Trinity pack and so far it's working well for them. But nobody has seemed to notice any big differences between lipo packs. (we have guys running all three Orions... Core... Trinity... and others...)

The 2 batteries had very different power bands on track and required different gearing, overall the only advantage I found in the trinity over the orion was its higher capacity. I haven't hooked up a datalogger to check voltage drop under load or any other type of bench test but they were certainly difference on track.

The Core/racers edge pack was the biggest shock, with all the buzz about how great they are I expected it to be noticeably better than the rest and not the poor performer I saw. Having tried only one pack I can't say for certain that they suck but locally most of the racers that bought them are switching to Orion 3200 & 3600s and finding them better.

When the Reedy 5000 packs comes out I will be trying one and will hopefully have the chance to checkout a 3600 soon but so far the trinity has been the best of the 3 I tried with the Orion 3200 a very close 2nd.

With so many different cells out there I would suggest everyone get together with a group friends and each buy a different one and compare them as a group. This way if you will know what packs to settle on, 1 will defiantly be better than the rest either to a performance or price advantage.

Mark