R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

ROAR did the right thing in my book by waiting. TCs had been out for several years before IFMAR adopted a rules set for them as well. There were many different TC designs out there with different widths and wheel bases all over the place. It wasn't until a standard started to emerge from the manufacturers side that a rules set was adopted. LiPo and BL are an even more varied issue then TC was and it took time before enough was known about the technologies to see which way they were headed. Had they made rules earlier more people would have been upset as the technology changed and rules changing with that would have had even more people needing to buy a new "stock" equivalent motor then are having to now.

I don't see people moving into 1/12th because they can use their same TC equipment. Only about half of the equipment can truely move over. The servos are much different in size and once you convert a pack from 6 cell to 4 cell going back to 6 to run it in TC becomes a problem. Often even the recievers are not carried over since not as many people run a micro reciever in a TC as do in 1/12th. Depending on which LiPo technology is adopted for 1/12th would determine how much carry over there is between 1/12th and TC. If 1/12th started using 7.4v LiPo and countering the added voltage by going to a smaller motor then now even your battery pack can be interchanged between 1/12th and TC.

I'm not saying to tinker with the rules based on a whim. I'm saying now is the time to start looking at alternate ideas for the good of the class. Now that ROAR has officially adopted LiPo and BL, how much longer do you think manufacturers will continue to do R&D on nickel based batteries for RC applications? We face the eventuallity of 4 cell racing as being the only form of nickel based racing occuring. 4 cell racing will have to adapt or stagnate and die. Personally I would rather see it adapt.

For an open class I would rather keep it at 4.8v but lower the minimum weight to keep the people trying 3.7v competitive. You would have 2 choices: a) more power with 4 cell Ni based but be heavier. Or b) lighter weight but with less power with LiPo. At least that wasy I could keep running without needing a reciever pack. 3.7v will make a reciever pack pretty much mandatory.

Anyway...this is a discussion best taken to another thread...sorry we got off topic.