R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Good luck with your LRP.

CellPro Revolution Battery install.

I'll say again this is one of the best LiPo batterries that I have used. Great voltage, slow deterioration rate at 5 amp charge rate. No troubles over about 35 cycles now. So the question is how to stuff this oversize battery in the TC5. It fits just between the aluminum bulkheads on the right side but the battery strap needs to be changed. I obtained two of these blue TC3 battery straps for the 7 cell tray of the TC3. I drilled two small (.116 inch) holes near the exhisting holes in the ends. Take care not to inhale graphite dust. I took the standard battery uprights and made them more flat on the bottom and turned them 90 degrees. This provides the space and puts a larger flat area against the battery for protection.

For weight balance, the battery is all the way to the right edge of the chassis. For Protection, I put on a LEXAN 90 cut from the bottom of one of my bodies. It goes to the bottom of the chassis in the middle portion of the battery, to the top of the chassis at the tape. Use an 1/8 scale LEXAN scrap for better thickness here.

I am getting by quite well with only two of these batteries when running only one car. I bought two of these battery straps. One for each battery for convenience in charging and reinstalling them into the car. No need to change the tape then.

I also modified my custom 1/10 scale pan with a short servo so these batteries would fit. They are a keeper.

These batteries can also be taped in the TC5 using the existing tape slots and strapping tape. This is the lightest method. I suggest two layers of tape. One layer of IRS tape was insufficient.

The Tamiya wheel hexes did not fit. They are sized for a shaft .020 inch bigger than the TC5 drive axle. This means they would require shimming. In addition the center hole is not though bored. It has a shoulder outboard that interfered with the hex seating on the drive pin. The Tamiya drive pins are a larger diameter than the TC5s. My blue hexes came in at 4 mm thick. I am back to the shimmed Losi hexes.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TC3 Blue Batterry Strap.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	303878   Click image for larger version

Name:	FMA direct Revolution LiPo.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	303881  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-16-2008 at 08:34 PM.