R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Approves LIPO
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Mason
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by darchard123
Until this lipo approval I have not heard of any one lobbying ROAR to get safer measure put in place for nimh cells (maybe they have)!

The only issue I see is how many battery matcher's will be out of a job? Do we think about these guys?
The pictures of expended shotgun shells and end casings that go flying through the air like star-shuriken should be more than enough to get the rules changed. This is why I have proposed that all batteries go through similar physical durability tests.

I'm not knockin the lipo sack requirement either - I think something similiar for all batteries to contain any sort of disfunction/disintegration is a great thing.

If anyone has seen that new mythbuster-esque show on discovery channel you'll find out that rhino-lining actually helps bomb proof a structure. I'm wondering if i can get it sprayed on my non-hard cased packs

If you look around, Battery matchers do not only match batteries. They can't afford to do just that. What were these guys doing before matching battery packs was a big thing?? Now as Ross Perot once said "The key is to diversify your funds!". My company does not build just one type of fire truck. Tamiya doesn't build just one toy car, Sears doesn't offer just one washing machine, Joe Bob's Diner doesn't serve up just one breakfast and I'm not taxed just once. If that were the case the world would be quite different place and some would argue better/worse.

Basically its hard to legislate safety differently for similar items. Tracks are different but each are required to have safety fences.. aren't they?? Batteries of any chemistry are in the immediate area of a person when its in their pit space. There is no sane reason not to legislate a safety container device for an explosive over a device that diffuses its energy in a lower, more controllable output. I am happy we aren't requiring fire-retardant/proof lockers - they aren't cheap!