R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lipo-Lead weight plates
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
oh, I agree...

but adding weigth to the pack itself changes your center of gravity and is a pure advantage in handling.. we all know that....

Not saying the rule is accurate in today's methods.. but it is there and has been for at least three years.
Ah, I see. Today's chassis that aren't so LiPo friendly lead us to stick weight wherever it will fit. I appreciate the rule, and will surely follow it at big races, but that might be one I bend at the club level if they allow it. :-) Some of these sedan chassis just don't have enough room to add 1/2lb of weight somewhere other than the battery with hopes of maintaining balance. Plus, the vast majority of the weight on my pack is on the sides and top, so I don't realize much of a CoG benefit, if at all.

Also, the Losi car has a steel LiPo tray available that puts 100% of the added weight below the battery, and mounts in as part of the chassis. This is the ultimate CoG advantage, and would be legal by your definition. I understand the intention of the rule, but if CoG is your major concern, it may be flawed considering that example.