R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

If I might offer a question/suggestion re: tech on BL motors...

I've been visiting with someone in whose club racing there were a couple folks running their 10.5 class were suddenly a fair bit faster. One of them hadn't even taken the sticker off his 9.5 motor so that wasn't a tech problem at all. The others motor, though, didn't display a sticker describing the number of winds. No need to mention the particular motor mfr because I believe they're ALL succeptible to this.

This ain't like the brushed days when for quick-n-dirty you looked for the tag on the arm. In the case of BL all the arms are the same...are we going to somehow create a tag for the winds inside a BL can?

Novak has an excellent tutorial on their site that explains teching a BL motor using an LCR meter to measure inductance. They then go on to give the inductance specs for all their motors. The LCR meters aren't cheap enough that every racer would want one for his or her pit box, but they're not so expensive that pretty much any track or club could have one to maintain the integrity of BL racing. Should it be a requirement that all BL motor manufacturers/marketers have that inductance information prominently listed on, say, the ROAR site under Tech or some such? I'm not overly tech/electronics saavy but I'm guessing that a 10.5 motor regardless who makes it would probably have similar readings if it's on the level, but I don't see how it's a particular hardship on ANYBODY to require that information be readily available to event organizers everywhere.