R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Adding weight for Lipos
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 05:15 AM
*Chrominator*
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
What are you guys using to add the extra weight due to lite Lipos?
It's a huge difference and a lot of weight to add?
Whatever it is, I know it's gonna be big!

I don't understand why so many people think they need to add weight for lipos,
{unless your still using brushed motors and older lighter 3300 Nimh or smaller battery's},
I don't think people realize how much weight we have gained in the last couple of years, with larger and heavier Nimh battery's and heavier Brushless speed controllers and motors.

Here is what I have discovered on the scale.

Roar min. weight for 2wh buggy is 1499 grams or 3lbs 5oz.
Two years ago my BK2 with a 19T brushed motor and a LRP Q2 ESC and 3300 Nimh battery weighed 3lbs 7oz.
It handled great, and it was still over Roar min. wt. by 2oz.

With a 10.5 BL/motor and a LRP Spr/Comp. ESC. and a 4300 Nimh battery, it weighed 3lbs 12.5 oz.
So as you can see my 2wh. with BL and a 4300 Nimh battery gained 5.5oz.
Now with the same BL motor and ESC and a 6000mah Lipo battery it weighs 3lbs 7.8oz.
Which is only .8oz heavier than it was 2 years ago, which would then be 2.8oz over Roar min. wt.

Here's what I found in Truck.

Roar Min. weight for 2wh Truck is 60oz or 3lbs 13.4oz.
Two years ago my MF2 with a 19T brushed motor and a LRP Q2 ESC and a 3300 Nimh battery weighed 4lbs .Ooz.
It handled great, and it was still over Roar min. wt. by 2.6oz.

With a 10.5 BL. motor and Novak GTB ESC and 4300 Nimh battery, it weighed 4lbs 6.5oz.
So as you can see in 2 years my Trk. with BL and a 4300 Nimh battery gained 6.5oz.
Now with the same BL motor and ESC and a 6000mah Lipo battery it weighs 4lbs 2oz.
Which is only 2oz heavier than it was 2 years ago, which would then be 4.6oz over Roar min. wt.

I realize that there are smaller lighter Lipos , so the difference wont be as great , but I'm pretty sure you will still be above Roar min. wt. and not any heaver than what you weighed a couple of years ago.

So to sum it all up , if you were racing two years ago, and were happy with how you Truck or Buggy handled, and have gone Brushless , I would not recommend trying to add weight to compensate for the difference between your new Lipo battery and your old large capacity (over 3800) Nimh battery's.

Like in all motor sports the heavy the vehicle weighs the harder it is to accelerate , change direction and to stop.

All you need to do is go back to the set up that you use to run , or find a new one that works with the current BL/ Lipo weight.

Well that's my opinion for what it's worth.