R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T2'008
Thread: Xray T2'008
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Kane-o
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
I just posted the mod 008US foam carpet setup I ended up with today. It's inspired by Paul's latest setup, though I was going by memory so it isn't duplicated exactly. Finally I had the mod car working.

I find the box setup impossible to drive in mod. I find it hooks/spins really bad in deceleration and initial steer. In stock that situation never occurs, because you never have to slow down before you start steering. It's like the front tires have massive traction at initial steer, and the rears don't develop any cornering traction until the car has set up in the corner. Paul pulled out pretty much all the stops to kill front steering traction at initial turn-in, and I think it's fixed the car.

Also, I 'felt up' and 'had my way with' a Phi today. That car was literally twice as stiffly sprung and damped as we run our foam Xrays. It also has the upper links moved inwards by almost 1cm, though angles and relative lengths are very similar.
I drove it (27t), and it was vastly different. It had a wild initial steer, then immediately turned into a push monster. It would only steer once you got way off the throttle to slow down and transfer more weight to the front tires. Whereas my 008 stock will steer at full throttle, and I give a slight lift near the apex to get

-Adam
Adam,
I had the exact same problem as you racing 19T at our club racing Edmonton this Friday. I tried the box set-up and I found it hard to drive. I added some rear droop and camber and it did improve things. I managed to TQ and win by 3 laps over 2nd place but it seemed as if I was fighting the car. For Lethbridge I may go slightly softer in the rear to aid in weight transfer to prevent that hooking/spin out situation you described.
-Kane