R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
gotpez
Tech Adept

This is absolutely amazing! This thread has stayed extremely civil, and there have been a ton of different opinions given here. Thanks to everybody here for showing that sensitive issues CAN be discussed on the internet!

I posted earlier in the thread, probably 20 pages ago, and since then we've seen a lot of new discussions, so I figured I'd chime in again based on some of these comments.

As ROAR starts down the path of the brushless road, it is the perfect time to make the big break. There is no way we will ever achieve parity between a brushed and brushless motor in any limited class, so to include brushed in the rules will do nothing but cause arguments. Even if the overall power is the same, the power delivery will make either the brushed or brushless definitively superior to the other depending on the track and it's conditions. This is not the power parity that these classes are intended to create.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Stormer that we need to dramatically slow down the "Stock" or Introductory class and ensure that there is a distinct difference in the 'feel' of the power between the classes. I also feel that we need to have no more than three 'motor' classes. Our hobby was at it's strongest when we had just two, so going too far beyond that is not the path to growth in the hobby.

As for WHAT the motors should be... Maybe they don't exist yet. We've all been talking about the 13.5, 17.5, 21.5 and 10.5 because that is what they are making now. This doesn't mean we have to stick with them. The best Introductory motor might be a 16.5, or a 18.5, or a 19.5... and the Intermediate motor might need to end up somewhere between the 13.5 and the 10.5.

If you want to keep running your brushed motors, talk to your local track owner and see what they will do. Run whatever you want locally, but the nationally recognized classes need to go brushless.