R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Corally RDX Phi
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fred kellner
Ok I am going LIPO.

Who has the best weights to balance out the car?

I may have heard someone offered lead that fit down in the battery slots.

What is the heaviest material available that takes up the least space?

Thanks Fred
Fred,

Here's what I do on my 416 with a flat sided pack (Core 5000). First, I picked up some lead weights from nexusracing.net and trimmed them so they fit into the battery slots on the chassis. Then, I used shoe goo to secure them to the bottom of the pack (much like the picture) and arranged them in a pattern that acts to lock the battery into the slots so it can't slide side-to-side or forward and backward. This has been a big help since the flat packs are slippery. As an alternative, you can use the Orion Carbon packs that have ridges which should secure them into the slots. You lose the option of putting some of the weight down low, however, and I find the rounded sides are harder to secure weight to.

Second, grab some tungsten plates from a pinewood derby shop. I bought a bunch of these and line the long sides of my battery with them (secured with foam servo tape) as well as a strip along the top. The weights are a little pricey up front, but you really only have to buy them once. If you look around on that page, they sell tungsten in many other configurations (including putty!) so you might come up with some ideas of your own.

And, finally, use tape. I haven't seen a battery strap used with a LiPo pack that's not either too loose, or too tight and warps the chassis. I know tape is a hassle, but if you grab that IRS stuff, a single piece (doubled up) should last all day.