R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 06:58 PM
f1larry
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I wasn't going to post anything in this thread but just keep watching everything that is being said, but I couldn't resist on piping in on a couple of issues being talked about.

1. Slowing the cars down. I don't think it is really about slowing the cars down but creating a more controlable speed for newbies to learn on and for experienced drivers to have closer competition. I think 1 thing everyone has forgotten about is the reason we all started doing this in the begining was to have fun. At trackside a class was developed to bring the fun back into the hobby Vintage Trans Am using 4 cells and a 27t motor. Newbies and experts alike have been building cars for this class and every week there is a minimum of 15 cars every tuesday. the racing is close and everyone is having fun.

2. Whether everyone admits it or not the average racer is on a budget and does not race at major races. but it is major races and ROAR that set the guidelines that most tracks use. This being said a decision needs to be made on basic rules because when someone like me has to support myself and my son I can't keep changing motors because a manufacturer introduced a different turn motor and now the local track wants to run that. Indecision and consistancy of rules is what is now hurting the hobby. It is kind of a hard pill to swallow when I finally was able to get a B/L 13.5 and then find out that might not be the motor for the stock class. I need to get my son a B/L and now I don't know which motor to get.

As a budget club level racer I feel the class structure should be

Sportsman (17.5)
Stock (Choose 13.5 or 10.5 determine the motor by size of track and whether indoor or outdoor)
Mod.

Most tracks on a regular basis only run Sportsman and Stock anyway