R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Casper
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Everyone says stock motors have gotten so fast. My argument to that is motors are only as fast as the the batteries supplying them. Battery tech (both Lipo with make the cars way lighter) and nimh have increased motor performance WAYYYYYYYY more then the increase in motor tech. Look at the numbers. 10 years ago we were running 1700 and 2000 mah nicd batteries that had 20amp number in the 1.17V range and IR in the 3.0 range. Now we are running 4200+ cells with 1.23V and IR in the 1.5-2.0 range. Look at a BL motor. They are rated in RPM's per Volt!!!!!!! If you have an old stock motor laying around throw it in your car and take it for a spin. You might be suprised to see how well it runs. I put an old Midnight sealed can stock in my car about a year ago and it ran great. Competative with the rest of the stuff I had. Not the fastest thing in my box but it ran strong.

Everything has gotten faster. Drag racing went throught the same thing. The knocked down the nitro% in the fuel. They did not change the motors. With in months they were back up to 330mph again. Nascar as this issue as well but not really with fuel. They are constantly fighting to keept he cars under 200. I guess my point is we focus on motors as this is kind of where the class is defined. Stock has gotten a lot fast with the battery technology though. So those who say it is too fast, it is not motor technology that is getting you there. My point is all venues of racing have this issue. Sanctioning bodies are always fighting to make racing safe and "fair" and racers are always trying to go faster. That is the jobs of the respective entities.

BL and Lipo are here. The consumers have spoken and they are buying up this stuff and it seems to make them happy. As they were technolgy testers and melted down speedo's and let out "magic" smoke out of lots of motors the technolgy has grown into something pretty reliable. It has come a long way in the past couple years. I think BL is great for the average racer. Will there ever be an equivalent to Brushed, no. There is no way of doing this. The two technologies are too different to say they will be the same. Should they become the new standard for santioned racing. Sounds like Roar has already spoken and think everyone should get a BL system. With most all major brand BL speedo's on the market they can run brushed and BL. It is an incrimental cost to get a Brushed motor for sanctioned racing. It is not hard to put a new motor in for that race. A lot of big races have handout motors anyway. Just a thought. I hate handout races though so guess that is not always the solution.

I guess the thing that bothers me most is there are no rules for this stuff yet. I guess they are coming and soon according to some posts I have read. After being the hobby for many years and playing by a set of rules as with all things change will come. Nascar got it with the COT and it looks like we are getting it with BL motors. Lets just get some rules to play by and move on. I think having no real rules is hurting all this debate. Make the rules and enforce them. There is no making everyone happy in this and the sanctioning bodies should have laid down the rules a while ago instead of letting it get to where it is today which is pretty much run what you brung. There is nothing wrong with that at the club level but the sanctioned racing scene needs more control.