R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin R1 ESC
Thread: Tekin R1 ESC
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM
TRF415boy
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MetalMan
The current sensored motors on the market are delta wound, which others have already stated. Sensorless motors typically are wye wound, which to my knowledge works better because they allow the rotor to be more detectable than delta winds (an example being the cogging experienced when running Novak motors through a Mamba Max ESC).

I'd bet delta-wound motors are easier to "tech" than wye wound motors, which seems to be what NovakTwo was getting at.

I am a strong believer in sensorless technology. Never have I owned a sensored motor/ESC, nor do I plan to. The last time Novak got any of my money for anything power-related it was on an Explorer II that burned out quickly (although I will admit to having owned Novak ESCs since then). Sensorless is just so much more versatile, and due to the lack of sensored offerings in the market, sensorless is MUCH better in my opinion.

Sensored ESCs can't run any motor larger than the HV-Maxx motor (unless you go old school and get an Aveox motor), and the HV-Maxx motor really is crap in light of the other motors out there. And the largest sensored ESC is the HV-Maxx, which can't stay cool even with the use of the included fan, is limited to 4s Lipo, and will even drain one 2s Lipo pack down faster than the other (making charging/balancing the 2x 2s packs as 4s a major pain).

So, sensorless is better, with the exception of racing (because ROAR is too lame to allow motor designs that were out way before Novak came out with its own motors).
Hopefully the R1 will enlighten the ignorant...
Once again someone who is confused with brushless technology.

The actual sensored motors are nearly all Wye wound. However the recent opening of the EFRA rules have allowed some manufacturers to release some Delta wound motors.

Delta is a little better for sensorless as it provides a slightly better feedback (back EMF) to the speedo. However both types of winding are independant of the type of control, any speedo an drive a Delta wound motor, or a Wye wound motor (provided if the speedo is sensor based, that the motor has some sensors it can plug into).