R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Pro ten Holland

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by srf
I have a couple questions of what to expect with a couple set up changes.. I would like to know what to look for so after I make the change I can tell it helped or not..

First on a 12L4..

What should I see when going from thin damper disk lube, to a thicker lube? Should it make the car more aggressive (twitchier)? Or will it slow the reaction and make the car more stable??

What should I see when going from a soft front spring, to a stiffer front spring? Will it take steering away (more of a push) or give it more steering?? I have heard both ways??

And center spring what will going to a stiffer shock spring do?? make the car push more?? Thanks for your help!!!!!!

My car feels good right now but almost too locked in... Our carpet is brand new so it doesnt have a TON of traction, but I notice I can hear my rear tires scrubbing in the rear, is this not enough traction or the rear being too locked in?? thanks!!!!
Thicker lube on damper disc= more agressive into corner, less steering mid-corner, more steering on the throttle.

Softer front springs= more steering, mainly midcorner. Comes at the expense of more body roll -> the car will roll over quicker.
Stifer front spring= a littel more agressive on corner entry at cost of mid-corner steering.
I'de stick to the stock 0.020" front springs on the L4. They seem to give the best compromise.

A stiffer center spring loads more weight on the front end when applying throttle, thus giving you more steering on corner exit.

I never really heard my tires scrub on carpet. Maybe the body is touching the carpet?

In general, I just keep adding steering until either my car starts to roll, or it becomes to twitchy to be fast.
The easiest way to add steering is to apply traction compound on a larger area of you front tires.