R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Cammer
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I will put in my two cents.

I don't like the handout motors. Reason #1 is consistancy. I feel bad motors (rubbing in the can) are a worse problem then poor tuneing ability. If the hoods are alinged and good brushes are used most stock motors run pretty good but getting a bad batch of motors with arms rubbing or laminations coming apart is less fair then getting ROAR legal motors from your favorite motor tuner to race in this class. Why stop at the motor and tires. Make everyone run the same chassis! (J/K!!!!!) My point is racing is fun when differences exist. There MUST BE RULES though. ROAR already approves cars, motors, batteries, tires etc. If you feel someone has a cheater motor there is already a process for that. Pony up the money and challenge the motor. Tear it down. Handouts keep the motor companies from show casing there stuff on this large stage. A lot of smaller companies sell a lot more spec motors then mod motors so this is a more important market for them and they are denied the bragging rights with handout motors at many major races. If you must limit to one kind of motor then fine. But there are many motors approved by ROAR to meet "spec" class rules. Why not be allowed to run them at a national's event?

Spec tires I am kind of indifferent on this as variation in tires is very minimal and this keeps people from finding an advantage with a tire that may not be available at the race.

On the BL topic. Just because everyone determined 13.5 brushless is the new stock the sanctioning bodies have not come to that same conclusion yet. That is like saying everyone found running truck tires on there buggy works great. The car does not conform to the rules but since everyone is doing it it should become legal. (oh wait that is were truggies come from!) I do agree the sanctioning bodies need to be more proactive then reactive. BL and Lipo are here to stay but there is an issue still of where they belong. I agree in electric (especially offroad) there are too many classes and adding BL classes to the mix spreads everyone thin. BL in the spec classes is too big an advantage. They belong in mod for now IMO. Run them in your club races if allowed but for sanctioned racing people should follow the rule book and not make up there own set of rules. I think this is true for all forms of racing. Check out a local full size race track. There are defined rules for all classes they race. You are not allowed to make up your own rules since you car/motor does not conform.
You have my vote Casper.

I would just like to add that tuning the motors is part of the hobby just like chassis tuning and driving skill. If people want to take out the motor tuning and maintainence portion because they are not good at it, it would only be fair that I get to computerize my car and radio to drive itself around the track cause I suck at driving. To be harsh, if you can't play by the rules or don't want to, maybe you should find another hobby like golf. I know nobody cheats on the golf course and everybody follows the rules.