R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ofna Buggie 1/8, racing material? (New Member)
Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
MOmo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by siba111
I was just wondering if my Ofna buggie is a racing material type of RC car. This was at first my brothers hobby and he did everything for me but now I am starting to independently work on this buggie (needs some tuning but runs great and his incredibly fast with a 457 XTM .28 motor.) Any help on getting a start to racing this car would really be nice. Thanks

One thing you didn't mention is how comfortable you are with the buggy and what racing experiences you have had. If you're still learning, don't worry about upgrading and buying a completely different car. Focus on being as competitive as possible with what you have. Most people underestimate that even if its old its no longer fast. Not always true.

My 1st 1/8th scale was a Hyper 7 and I was quite happy with it. I hadn't ever run 1/8th scale, but I have been racing for over 10 yrs, and my friend who does race and is quite good, went out one night to the track with me. he and several other fast racers were there and I managed to keep up with them despite my new-ness and the fact that the car might not have been as competitive as their cars. I got compliments after we hit the pits. I let my friend drive it and even he was quite impressed and he was a dedicated Mugen driver.

IMO, drive this car until the wheels fall off. If you think you have gotten to a point that you have outgrown this car, then consider getting a different one.

You are likely overwhelmed with this car as it is. Having to do your own maintenance, and understand how this car works is enough. Play with this for a bit, then, once you are ready to graduate, THEN look at getting a newer rig. You might even be able to find a good Race-roller from a fellow racer at the track. You already have the radio and other electronics so you wouldn't HAVE to upgrade unless you wanted to.

I think that RC should be a graduation process. (Just cause the fast guy drives it, doesn't mean that its the best for you.) Its also about what you can afford. make upgrades slowly and as you progress with skill, not just cause people tell you the equipment you have sux.

Good luck!

MOmo