R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 01:23 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default RCCA Evaluation

I just read a good review of the Novak Brushless Super Sport system vs a Reedy 10x2 Krypton +Novak GT7 written up by Steve Pond in July Radio Control Car Action Magazine.

A TC3 with foam tires was tested for acceleration on a fresh asphalt parking lot against the same car with the Reedy 10x2. The acceleration was measured with a radar gun system. The graphs that resulted were near identical. This is the performance advertized by Novak, I believe.

Finally an actual performance measurement of a brushless system without all the hyperinflated theoretical power outputs that I have heard reported on the Web.

The cars were then tested for runtime on the oval. There was a 12 percent improvement in runtime for the brushless. If memory serves me well the motor temp of the 10x2 was 250 F and the Brushless was 242 F. The gearing for the TC3 with the Krypton was selected from Barry Baker's Setup. The gearing for the brushless was selected to match top speed with the brush motor on an oval track. Personally I would have tried to gear the brushless to give the same motor temperature. I don't know if this is possible or if the performance would suffer as a result of being overgeared. From what I have seen from the theoretical power curves performance might have been slightly better for the brushless if geared slightly higher (another pinion tooth or slightly smaller spur).

The brushless system should provide lower maintenace cost at about a $40 higher cost for the controller motor system.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 06-15-2003 at 02:58 PM.