R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 AM
CBear3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Alright, I don't run much on-road, but I do dabble when I remember to turn right. There's a thought that Steve touched on, and it hasn't been elaborated on a whole lot since.
  • Do we want equivalent classes, or do we want set class speeds independently of what we have now?
Talking to guys at Snowbirds last year, the general consensus was that cars were too fast in every class. Mod hit the ceiling for just how fast we can make cars go, and 19t just keeps getting faster so the gap between them has narrowed. Stock is now a bit too fast for the beginner, or even the average racer.
So why would you want to hamsting the introduction of new, better technology by trying to match it up with what some believe is a currently broken class structure?
My suggestion:
  • 17.5 is the new stock class. Slow things down a bit for the average racer and let them enjoy the racing more instead of just holding on.
  • 13.5 is the new limited modified. Its a tick slower than 19t, but sits pretty much in the middle of 17.5 and mod.
  • Mod is still mod. Run whatever you want, in terms of speed I think we've found the edge with current car designs so it truly is whatever your preference is.
Sure, at first 17.5 is a single manufacturer class, but with it added to the rules structure other companies will have motors up and running by the summer probably. By the time we hit paved nats you should have three more 17.5 motors approved and to choose from. Once we have several versions to choose from, only approve motors at the first of each year to avoid the motor of the week at a higher price scenario some are afraid of. Although, I know a lot of us at the club level will buy a motor, try it out, and pass it around to see if others like it. You don't have to worry about the wear and tear your buddy is putting on it, because the motors are so durable. So if you and your buddies each buy different motors to try out, you might each be out the cost of one dog motor a season.

Just my two cents, the biggest thing is I'd like to see is the change over to brushless be independent of what we have now. Make it a true step to the future, instead of a bridge decision to try to hang on to the past.