R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Are they the new ones like these:

These stomp the old ones that looked like LRP motors with air holes in them.

We have done a lot of testing and they are very stout. That said the testing was done with Speed Passion GT speedos that had adjustable timing...and these motors like timing advance...around 18.75* at the speedo.
Adrian,

The updated Orion has those solder tabs, and the endbell around the bearing is machined a bit differently so it looks like the one in the pics. It retains the holes in the can, however, and came with a 12mm rotor w/o a fan. It's possible it felt a bit more stout than the original Orion, but it was definitely NOT on par with the Novak. Maybe on a wide open track the difference wouldn't be as obvious, but on a tight, fast carpet track, it was very apparent the Orion was at a disadvantage. So, unless they changed something significant, like the stator length (height?) I'm skeptical that it can truly hang. I'm eager to see how things go at Novak, though. I'd really like to try an SP 13.5 myself so that I can be certain, but I just can't bring myself to spend another $80+ on a motor that would run a chance of being the same as the two worthless Orion 13.5's I have currently. :-\