R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reedy Hard Case Lipo
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Rick your a funny guy ... ( just solder the current lipos in parallel.)

If you made a 3.7 the size of a 4 cells pack that would be good enough for me in a touring car for trans am and i am sure the oval guys would be fine with that too ....
We are already doing the testing. :-)

Originally Posted by heretic
I do not understand this.

(sorry, i do not speak english very well)

I tried a 3400mah (no hard case) lipo pack in one of my 1/12th scale cars.

It is 2S , 7,4V, and has about the same footprint as a 4cell Subc pack. In fact it has the same length , but it is a bit taller, and also a bit narrower. In any "non- t-bar" type of car it fits perfectly, maybe you have to put the center shock 5 mm higher but...

The motor i used was a 27turn, 5 degrees timing .Nothing wild here, and still the car was really fast , weighed less than 700 grams, and the runtime was superior to 15 minutes, easily. Any more runtime would be quite pointless since the best odourless traction compound i ever tried hardly lasts for 10 minutes.

So my question is : what is the point in going to 1 LIPO cell when all our electronics can't handle it (some speedos don't even turn on when plugged to 3 subC cells, let alone servos ,PTs, etc), and are designed to handle 7,4V?

why would i put a 7x1 motor with 3, 7 V in my car, when my car is already too fast for me with a 27X1 and 7, 4 V, and already has too much runtime ?

let's just get rid of Tbars !
As far as I know, there are no sanctioned competitions (or any for tha matter)that allow 6-cell NiMH as an option. All racers use 4-cell packs, and most use a separate battery to power the receiver.

The answer to why 4-cell packs are used is in your post. The cars are simply too fast with 6-cell 7.2V. By using a 7.4V Lipo, your car will be about the same speed as if you used 6-cell NiMH. Some think the cars are still too fast.

3.7V LiPo is the closest think to a 4.8V 4-cell pack. That is why it is the best option for LiPo use in 1/12 scale.